Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Routing Cove Molding Around the Top With a Jig to Reduce the Amount of Carving

Well I have finally finished smoothing out the two tops.  Was that a lot of work! There must be an easier way of removing a 1/4 inch of material from the top of the table.  I have seen quite a number of Pie Crust Tables.  Those tops are much larger than mine and they have carved moldings around the edge.  So, the entire surface of those tables had to be lowered to expose the molding.  I'll have to do some reading to see if there is a better way.
So instead of carving a cove all the way around the table, I decided to use a cove bit and a jig to rough out the molding shape.  I will use carving to finish the job but I hope to reduce the effort.
I made the jig from 1/2 inch plywood and tested it out.  I works pretty good but it is slow to set up.
But it is important to secure the top and make sure it is flat to the jig.
I almost finished one top today and I should finish the other tomorrow.
So here is today's video.

No comments:

Post a Comment