Search This Blog

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Finished Scraping the Table Top and Doug Moulder's Writing Desk

I finished planing and scraping the table top after using the router to lower the majority of the table top by 1/4 inch.  Dust was everywhere upstairs in the shop where I had set up to do the routing.  It took me 30 minutes to vacuum up all the chips. I really dislike using the router but removing 1/4 inch from the entire top by hand would have been challenging.   I suppose I would have used a router  plane to set some reference grooves and then used chisels to remove the bulk of the waste.  After that I suppose it would have been the same for smoothing - planes and scraping.  Maybe next time I'll do it by hand. 
Here is a short video showing the scraped table top.


My friend Doug Moulder finished his project today.  He is a lot quicker than I am, maybe I should enlist him to help finish the table.  Anyway, he has been building a replica of the Thomas Jefferson Writing Desk.  He made it from walnut and did most of the work by hand.  He did a wonderful job and sent me a few pictures.  I have seen these reproductions go for $800 or more.  Thanks for sharing Doug.
 


1 comment:

  1. I'm not faster Dave, I just pick much easier and smaller projects than your complex tea table. Thanks for posting the photos.
    The table top cleaned up very nicely. The carving of the molding should be relaxing and quiet after the router work!

    ReplyDelete