Search This Blog

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Carving and Scraping the Molding Around the Table Top

Well I finished the routing of the two table tops.  That was a lot of work, I an not sure that it saved me anytime.  But if I have to make another I have the jigs to do it faster.  The set up for each pass on jig for the circles is far more time than the time it takes to route the molding. You have to clamp each side to be sure that the circle you are going to cut is flat to the bench top.  Also, I used a hold fast then to stabilize the rest of the top.  Then I was ready to put the router in the jig, check the depth that the router was going to cut at that point.  Turn on the router and zip, zip the cove molding is made.   Tear down the set up, vacuum the dust, move to the next circle and repeat the set up again.   I am tied just explaining it.  It is over now and I have used my router more than I have in the last 5 years.
Now I have to clean up when things are not quite smooth. I am using carving chisels, a scraper and sand paper to clean up the molding.
So, here is today's video.

No comments:

Post a Comment