Search This Blog

Friday, January 10, 2014

New Top Cutout and Practice Cutting 1/4" Grooves for the Circles in the Top

I finished cutting out a new table top.  The new one is a little flatter than the old one but both are acceptable.  The new one does not have the discoloration in the middle but has other grain challenges.
So now I am ready to cut a 1/4" groove around the parameter of the table to give me room to hog out the rest of the material to lower the surface by a 1/4" across the entire top.  This is in preparation for carving the molding around the edge.   I made a template out of mdf and attached it to the top and used a guide bearing in the router to facilitate cutting the groove.  It works well but I have to be careful as I go to the outside of the circle so I don't tip the router and cut deeper.  I did this once while I was practicing.
I did not get too much time in the shop today since I had to run errands and leave early for a dinner.
So here is the video with my progress.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment