Search This Blog

Monday, January 6, 2014

Sawing the Table Top and Flush Trim the Edges

It is the coldest day of the year.  The shop started out nice and warm but the temperature was dropping all day long.  The day started at about 20 degrees and by lunch it was 0 degrees.  By dinner time it was 9 below zero outside.  The shop has been getting colder as the day goes on,  I am wearing 2 flannel shirts and my apron so I am staying warm.
I started the day by chatting with my friend Doug Moulder about his project.  He is making a Thomas Jefferson desk out of walnut.  I hope to see more picture of his project soon.
Here is a picture he sent me on his progress.
He has a lot of hand work going on in this project.  He has ordered the felt for the writing surface and the hardware from Horton Brasses.   When we were talking about my project he suggested that I use a flush trim bit in a router to clean up the circles after I cut them out.  It sounded like a good idea so I made some templates and ran a test to see how it would work.  I came out ok so that is what I did.
First I sawed with my jig saw around the table top leaving about 1/32 of an inch extra and then I used the flush trim bit and the router to smooth out the cutting.   The router makes a lot of noise and dust so I wore a mask, goggles and ear protection while using that machine.  I got it done, so now I am ready to round over the lower portion of the table top.  I'll do that tomorrow.
So here is the video of today's progress.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see the flush bit trim router worked out well. Screwing down the templates from the underside was the way to go.
    Surprised to see my copy of the Thomas Jefferson lap desk in progress. I like tape. Everything always works so well when taped together, than it gets tougher when actually mortising in the hinges. I'll keep at it today,after I wipe up the "water/ice" on the inside of the windows in the entire house! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete