Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Table Buttons to Attach the Top and Traditional Molding Techniques

I am catching up with my posting here.  It is very cold here, the pipes in the shop froze again, even with the heat tape that I used to wrap around the copper pipe.  However, they did not burst like the last time.  I heated them with my heat gun and they started to flow again.  Now I am going to leave them running a trickle and see if that helps.
I turned the table over and drilled the table buttons for a 1 inch #8 screw.  This leaves 1/8 inch before the screw would go through the top.  I used 10 buttons to hold down the top, this should help keep it flat and tight to the apron turrets.
Now I need to make the molding that matches the top and bottom of the turrets.  This I will make by using traditional molding planes.  I made a half set of hollows and rounds earlier this year and I am eager to use them.
I made some 3/8 inch stock and then used my fillister plane of create the first groove.  Then I used the rabbet plane to create steps for the 3/8 inch round plane to follow. It worked out pretty good.
Tomorrow I check out the shape and make adjustments and I hope it is a lot warmer.
Here is the latest video:

1 comment:

  1. The top looks very secure with the buttons. Three cheers for the moulding plane and sticking the profile. You're nearing the end and it's looking great.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete