Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Decided To Make a New Table Top

Well after looking at the current table top a bit more today, I decided to make another one to see if it would be flatter and better fitting than the one that I have completed to this point.  So I took the only other piece of wide maple that I have and flattened it and then thicknessed the board to 13/16". I traced the pattern from the table frame to the underside of the new table top just as I did with the first one.   I added the 1/2" all the way around to allow for the round over and then set up to cut out and flush trim the table top.   This process went so much quicker than the first time, since I have all the patterns and the process from the first one.
I have an apprentice Ian Helms, who comes once a week to learn woodworking.  He has been coming for over a year now.  He has built a bureau for his grandmother, tool chest and a number of other projects.  I'll include a picture of him working in the shop in a later post.  Anyway he came to the shop today, so I spent a little time working with him on his current project.  He is making  a cutting board for his mother.  I think he will be making a bread board as well.
So here is the video of the remake of the table top.


No comments:

Post a Comment