Search This Blog

Friday, August 30, 2019

Penn Chippendale Slant Front Desk Building Gallery Pt 3 Step 12

I started to work on the document folders.   I decided to use 1/4 inch birch plywood because it will be quite stable.

I started by milling a piece of cherry 1/2 inch  and putting a rabbet on each side for the plywood and a stop.

I added a back and bottom.  I nailed and glued the four pieces together leaving the top open.

I slid it in the opening to check the fit.  I want it to be nice and snug.

I will show how I made the flutes in a little bit.  But the columns have a base and capital.  I carved these since I didn't have router bits that could make the shape.

Later I'll show how I made the hidden locks.

I drew a ogee shape on the sides that I later cutout on a band saw. This allows the owner to grab the papers that are placed in the document folders.

Here is how I put the flutes on the columns.  I marked the start and stop points on the side of the folder.

I marked the router table on either side of the 1/4 inch router bit.

I then set the fence to cut the slot which is the furthest from the fence.  Then carefully drop the face on to the bit at the start point.

Then push it down to the stop point and lift it off.

Now I need to cut the other three slots.  I just add a 1/2 inch strip of wood and repeat the process.

Then I added a 1 inch piece and cut another slot.

Then I added a 1 1/2 inch piece and cut the 4th slot.

You can see the 4 flutes on the front of the folder below as well as the ogee cutout on the top of the folder.
These are suppose to be secret folders. To accommodate that a hidden lock needs to be added to the folder.
A wooden spring is installed in the side of the folder.  I drilled a hole in the side which will be hidden by one of the drawers.  Pressing a paper clip into the hole and depressing the wooden lock will release the folder.

There is a matching depression on the inside of the vertical divider. When the folder is pushed back in the wooded spring snaps back in place and the folder is locked.

I cut out the valences on a band saw and cleaned them up with a spindle sander.  

I will glue them in place and put small glue blocks behind them.

They are slightly recessed  to give a 3d effect.

With the document folders made and everything all glued in place I am going to start on the drawers.

Here is today's video:

1 comment:

  1. I invite you to the page where you can read with interesting information on similar topics. Home Improvement