Search This Blog

Monday, October 20, 2014

Milling a Big Mahogany Board for the Sides and Top

Well I started to mill a large mahogany board that I bought this last summer at Irion Lumber.  The board is 22 3/4 inches wide by 9 feet long.  I should be able to get the sides and the top from this board and have some left over.


I will hand plane the board so that I can see the grain and any defects that there might be in the board. My workout for today with the #6 Stanley Bailey after I had honed the blade.


You can see here why I do this before any cutting is done on the board.  Here are some worm holes that I exposed as the board was being planed.


I have marked out the sides and the top working my way around the defects in the board.  I am trying to make efficient use of the board.  At these prices I need too.


Now I can saw up the rough sizes and plane the individual smaller boards.  I try to get one side flat and then run them through the planer.

Once they are flat I can trim them to actual size and cut the tenons on the table saw.  I gave up on my radial arm saw.  It was not straight enough across the 13 inches of these boards.  I noticed the problem when I did the back of the table but worked around the problem.


Now I need to saw out the waste between the tenons just like I did the back panel.


Ready to fit the sides.
Looks like a good fit.

Now I need to cut out the patterns for the scrolling on the sides and front.


I got quite a bit done today.  I'll pick up here tomorrow.  So here is today's video:

6 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work, David. It was a pleasure meeting you at the WIA conference, and I'm enjoying following your build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Autumn, I enjoyed meeting you, feel free to send pictures of your current work. dboeff@sbcglobal.net

      Delete
  2. Looking great David, really satisfying when those mortise and tenons come together. Looks like a really nice fit and the design is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luke, the design of course is from antiquity, but that is why I love period furniture

      Delete
  3. David, did you have the plank delivered to your place? I have never ordered wood and had it delivered, I am curious about the process. Boyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boyce,
      I have a pickup truck, drove to Irion Lumber in PA. about a 5 hour drive from Lakewood OH. Irion Lumber will deliver by common carrier but a 150 board foot minimum.

      Delete