Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Progress on the Curved Front Dressing Table - Milling the Legs

Well Doug Moulder and I made a trip to Millersburg and Charm Ohio yesterday to purchase the lumber I need for the curved front dressing table.  We went to Keim Lumber in Charm, OH to purchase some 12/4 Genuine Mahogany that I need for the legs.  Then we went to Yoder Lumber in Millersburg, OH to purchase some soft maple and sugar pine for the inside and back of the table.  The sugar pine will be used for drawer sides and bottoms.  So, now I have all the material I need to build the table.  Below is the sugar pine and mahogany.  Some was left over from the last project.
I am starting with the cabriolet legs.  I have made a cardboard template and know that I need 2 3/4 inch stock to cut them out. So I squared up the stock and cut them out.

I traced the template on adjacent sides after reviewing the grain direction and color.
Next I need to turn the pad feet.  This lowboy has pad feet, although there are others which have ball and claw feet.  I am taking a break from carving ball and claw after that Goddard table.
Here are the two diameters that I need and then I round over the large to the small.
Next I need to cut the mortises for the apron, sides and back while the legs are still square.  It is easier that way.  But it means selecting which leg will be in front and rear before sawing.
I'll do the mortising tomorrow. Talk to you then.
Here is today's video:

3 comments:

  1. Nice start on the legs Dave. The genuine mahogany looks really good.
    Save some work for next week after the SAPFM meeting! See you in Rio Grande tomorrow evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave (and Doug), you might want to check out Homestead Hardwoods in Vickerie (just south of Sandusky). I wrote about it on my blog:

    http://whilethegluedries.wordpress.com/2014/08/25/lumber-supplier-is-the-search-finally-over/

    I don't work with Mahogany but they seem to have tons of it (and Teak) for the boat builders near the islands. I'd be interesting in your opinion since you know the lumber scene better than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn, I did look at that site, but they are showing only 8/4 genuine mahogany. I needed 12/4. Not many places carry that thickness. Keim carries a wide variety of exotic woods in small quantities. Yoder carries mostly local domestic wood at very good prices. Yoder is a big operation but will help a small craftsman

    ReplyDelete