Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Turning, Sawing and Mortising the Legs - Making Progress

Well today I got some work done.  I turned the pad feet on the four legs.


Then I band sawed out the cabriolet leg shape.  This allowed me to select the better legs for the front and then the others for the rear.


Once I selected the front legs, it was time to layout the mortises.  I made the decision to use 7/8th inch stock on the sides and back.  The mortises will be 3/8th inch wide by 1 inch deep.


So now I have to drill them out using my hollow chisel mortiser.  Best investment I ever made, this tool has really saved me time over the years.  I could do it by hand but this is much easier.



All done with mortising.


Next I need to cut the tops of the legs to 1 3/4 inches square.  For me this is best done on the band saw.  I leave them a little large and then smooth over the stock after the saw cut.


All done and ready for the next step. I'll clean out the mortises and start to shape the legs.


Here is today's video:


No comments:

Post a Comment