Search This Blog

Monday, August 4, 2014

Glue Up of the Table Frame and I Start to Look at Material for the Table Top

Well I glued up the table frame today.  I disassembled the swinging legs from the frame and of course disassembled the entire table prior to gluing.
 I used Old Brown Glue for the glue up.  It is what I have been using for several years now.  I use it on everything except edge gluing boards.
First I did the frame and then glued the legs to the swinging apron.
So now I have to wait over night for the glue to cure.

While I am waiting I started to look for material for the two top pieces.  These are 16 3/4 inches wide by 33 1/2 inches long.   I have a 20" by 9 foot 4/4 mahogany board which I bought to use for the top.
I used a hand plane to remove some of the rough surface on both sides so I could see the grain, color and imperfections in the wood.  I did find some discoloration at one end and some worm holes.
The top of half of the table swings open so it has to be good on both sides, the bottom half is fixed so it only has to be good on one side.  That makes it a little easier.  Still I would like the color and grain to match as best as possible from this piece of wood.  Here is a shot of some of the discoloration on one end.  I think this could be on the bottom of the fixed portion of the top.


 What do you think about the worm holes, should I leave them for character or fill them? Let me know with your comments.

Here is today's video

1 comment:

  1. I like the "character" of worm holes, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete