Search This Blog

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Cutting Tenons on the Rear Swinging Legs - Completed the Construction

Well I have been working on cutting the tenons on the end of the swinging rear legs.  This has to be done very accurately.  I have centered the knuckle joint support and attached the 2 swinging aprons. Using the legs to check the dimensions I marked a line where the tenons shoulder should be.
  Then I cut the shoulder on the table saw and cut the cheeks with a hand saw.  Setting up the table saw to cut the cheeks would take a lot longer than just cutting them with a hand saw.
Once the tenons were fit to the legs, I needed to hog out the area the create the 1/4 inch tenon which fits in the 1/4 in slot on corner of the table.  This is required since the rear swinging apron is 1 1/4 and the leg is 1 1/2 inch thick. Then I cut the 1/4 recess on the rear corner of the table.
Then I pared the joint to fit and repeated the process on the other side.  Both legs now fit nearly flush with the assembly clamped to the back.  So it was time to turn it over and see how well it works.

It stands on it's own and the legs swing pretty well.  I have a little fiddling to do yet with one of the legs but it is close.  This completes the construction of the table frame.  So now I will glue it up and then add the knee blocks.

So here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment