Search This Blog

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Finished Carving the Knee Blocks and Made the Table Buttons

Worked on carving the knee blocks.  The first one, I carved after I had glued it on.   That was too difficult. So the rest of them, I carved most of it while it was off the leg.
I traced the pattern and then carved it.  It is mostly carved when I glued it to the leg.  Then I finished carving after it was attached.
Here it is with all of the knee blocks attached.  The top is not that much lighter but it is the way the light is hitting it.

Then I started working on the table buttons.  I cut some 1/4 inch groves in the inside of the apron.  Then milled some 1 3/4 inch by 5/8 inch stock.  I need to make a 1/4 inch rabbet on one edge.  It is just as easy to use a fillister plane to cut the rabbet as to set up the dado blade on the table saw.
 This is how they look when finished.
Tomorrow I will work on the hinge for the two halves of the table. Then I think the construction is complete. I need to start thinking how I want to finish the table.  My wife thinks it should be stained a dark reddish brown mahogany.  We shall see.....

Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment