Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Working on the Honey Do list - Painting the porch and Making the Molding

I had to take a break from carving the  ball & claw foot because my honey do list was piling up.  We are hosting a party in a couple of weeks, so I had to paint the front and back porch of our 109 year old Victorian  house.  The molding around the front porch needed to be replaced years ago, but I have been putting it off.  I have run out of excuses, I guess I have to replace it.  I will need about 36 feet and some of it will need to be curved.

I went to Home Depot and found a 2x8 12 foot that was almost clear.  The longer and wider construction grade lumber is usually better.
I have a large crown molding bit that I can use to make the molding.  Sorry, no hollows and rounds here.
I ran the lumber through the router on both sides and then resawed  down the middle to make 2 pieces from each 2 1/2 x 1 1/2.  For a total of 44 feet of molding.
Here what I ended up with
I sanded some of the rough spots and then painted it in advance of installing.
Bending around the curved part was a problem, but I worked out ok.  One of the honey do items done so now back to carving.
Here is a video of the process:

1 comment: