Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Making a Knuckle Joint for the Rear Swing Legs

The rear legs on the Townsend Card Table swing out to support half of the top when it is open.  To accomplish this the rear legs are attached with a wooden hinge or knuckle joint.  The hinge has to fit tight so the legs don't sag when extended.  This joint is not overly complex about as difficult as hand cutting dovetails.
There are multiple ways for making a knuckle joint.  I have decided to do it with hand tools.
First thing I did was layout the circles and center point for the knuckle joint.
 Next is to make a 45 degree cut on the back corner of each circle.  I did use the table saw for this step.
Then using hand planes start to round over the circles.  I used a carving gouge and a hollow plane to complete the circles.
Just using the hand plane I was able to get it fairly round.  Then used the hollow to smooth it over.
I repeated the process for all four ended.  Then I laid out the knuckle pattern on the ends and marked the matching pairs.
Here you can see the pattern for the knuckles. There are 3 on the fixed portion and 2 on the swinging portion.
Now I have to saw out the knuckles just like making dovetails and then chop out the waste.
Now all I have to do is get them to fit together.  This is not the fun part.
The insides of the knuckle joint has to be carved out to match the curve of the knuckles.  That area of wood is all end grain and tough to work.  But I did get it done after quite a bit of work.
Here is the result.

 I am not sure that I am satisfied with the result.  I may make them again.  Tomorrow I am going to put in the hinge pin and see how well it swings.
So here is today's video:


2 comments: