Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

Begin Carving the Knee Pattern on the Legs

At this point  in the project, I have decided to carve the knee pattern.  I could save it till later but I decided to get more of the carving out of the way.
I have a friend who has made a Townsend Tea Table and had traced the knee carving for that project.  He has sent me the photocopy of the knee carving.  This has saved me the time to create my own from the photos that I have from books on the Townsend furniture.
You can see in the video that I have some very good detailed photos of the leg carving.  This is very helpful for me to visualize what the final look will be.
I took the photocopy and traced it on to the leg, filled in the lines with pencil where it did not transfer too well.
Then I started to carve, again with #3 or 3/8" flat chisel.  Lowering the background to create the raised portion of the carving.  I have decided to relieve 1/16 inch. As  you can see in the picture this knee pattern is not very bold.
I have completed one side of the knee.  When I start to carve the veins I used a 1/16 inch #11 viener but I did not like the way it looked, so I switched to the v-chisel and completed the carving with it.
So here is today's video:
 

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a real good start on the knee carvings.
    On a separate note, I hope the weather cooperates for your Sunday party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I hope to survive the party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete