Search This Blog

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Cut Out the Table Aprons and Tenons

I have a ten foot piece of 8/4 mahogany that is about 14 inches wide that I can not pick up myself.  Doug Moulder offered to come over and help me cut out the apron stock.  So we cut off about 3 feet for the aprons.
Here is what is left after we cut it off.
We ripped it to width, jointed and planed it to size.  In the earlier posts when I made the prototype, I demonstrated how I used the bandsaw and templates to cut out the shapes on the front and sides.  So I repeated the process with the good stock.
Now I have to clean up the saw marks and cut the tenons.  I used my spokeshaves, scrapers and hand planes to smooth out the curves and finish the flat surfaces. Work to be done.


Once the pieces were smooth, I scribe lines on the ends and cut 3/8 inch by 1 inch tenons with a backsaw.

Trim the tenons with a paring chisel and hand plane and fit into the legs.

The next step will be to dovetail the rear apron to the sides.  I'll get to that tomorrow.
Here is today's video:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment