Search This Blog

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Improving the Performance of the Plane by Cambering the Iron and Adding an Oil Finish

I worked on the plane today and decided to camber the blade since it was leaving plane marks from the corners of the iron.  It was cutting ok but not leaving a smooth surface.
I decided to use the Chris Schwarz method.  If you have a guide with a center wheel, then you can press on the corners to rock the blade.  By pressing on the corners and honing more strokes on them and working your way to the middle using less strokes you end up with a camber.
It works pretty good, I started with 220, then 400, 15microns, 5 micorns, and .05 microns.  The iron is sharp and has a camber.  It performed much better.  I then ground the top of the iron and finished the plane with Minwax Antique Oil.
The plane is done.
Here is today's video:

2 comments:

  1. You're amassing quite the homemade wooden plane collection Dave. What's up next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I now have to make 21st century furniture for my wife. A TV stand. I will be posting the progress here.

    ReplyDelete