Search This Blog

Monday, March 24, 2014

TV Stand Progress and Glue Up

Well I make the panels for the carcass of the TV stand and cabinet.  I also sanded them to 220 so I think we are ready for glue up.
This glue up has a number of parts so it is kind of complex and I am kind of slow, so I am using Titebond 3 which has a longer open time and I will move as fast as I can but try not to get sloppy with the glue.
After the glue up, I clamp the frame and check for square and then clean up the excess glue.
So, here is today's video.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dave,

    Do you have any experience with liquid hide glue? I've started using it for it's supposed long open time. Do you think that would've helped vs. Titebond 3?

    I'm glad to hear it wasn't perfectly square. It makes me feel better about my stuff.

    -Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn,
    I use liquid hide glue on all of my period pieces. I use Old Brown Glue made by Patrick Edwards. You can get it at a number of places on line.
    Titebond makes a liquid hide glue but you must watch the expiration date printed on the bottle. They don't sell too much at home depot so it goes bad.
    It would have worked because of the long open time, but it is susceptible to moisture and heat. The main reason for using hide glue is that it comes apart and therefore repairable furniture for the next 200 years. I don't think my tv cabinet will be around then.

    ReplyDelete