Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bedding the Iron on the Coffin Smoother is a lot of work

Well I received the steel for the plane iron yesterday and sawed off 6" of the 5/32" O1 steel.   This is the size that the plan calls for.  I will start with that but if the mouth gets to large than I have some 3/16" steel for backup.  When I roughed out the bed and mouth I must not have been very careful because the bed is not very flat and it is going to take a lot of work to get it acceptable.
I mark the back of the iron with dry erase marker and bang the iron threw the mouth to leave marks on the bed.  The high spots have marks and these I can shave down with the floats.
It is a slow process but I have to get the bed completely flat.
So here is today's video.

No comments:

Post a Comment