Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Completing and Testing the Wooden Coffin Smoother

I got a lot done today because I spent the whole day in the shop.  The weather was terrible with rain turning to snow and high winds.  If you didn't have to go out, it was a good day to stay in!
So, I spent some time bedding the iron.  Finally got it to the point it was resting on the entire bed.
Then I ground the 3/16 inch thick steel to a 30 degree bevel.  I then heated the iron to red hot and squelched in oil.   Then tempered at 375 degrees for an hour in the oven.   I used my Worksharp to hone the cutting edge to razor sharp.   I set the iron and did some test cuts.  It is working ok but it will need some fiddling. I'll work on that tomorrow.
Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment