Search This Blog

Friday, May 16, 2014

Working on the cabriolet leg

The day before yesterday I cut out the sample cabriolet leg on my band saw.  Now it needs to be shaped.  The Newport style of leg is not rounded over like many other cabriolet legs on 18th century furniture.  I begin by removing all the saw marks and bumps using a spokeshave.  It probably my favorite hand tool.  I really like how you can smooth a curved surface with this tool.
When I first started to use a spokeshave I tried old Stanley and other styles and I had limited success at using the tool.  I admit I never tried a wooden one.   Well finally I bit the bullet, spent some money and bought the Lee Valley set.  These are wonderful tools compared to others that I had been using.
Other shaping on the leg that needs to be done that the spokeshave can't do I use a rasp and files to fit the tight curves.
Normally, you mortise the leg before you cut it out, it is easier to do while it is still a rectangle but I didn't.  So now I am going to add the mortises after I figure out what the apron shape will be.
So here is the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment