Search This Blog

Saturday, May 31, 2014

A Trip to Colonial Williamsburg

I took a break from woodworking over the Memorial Day weekend. My wife and I went on a road trip to Colonial Williamsburg.  It was our first trip there and we were not disappointed.
We were immersed in american history and of course the 18th century period.
There were several exhibits on the grounds that involved woodworking in the 18th century.  The cabinetmaker's shop had a number of nice pieces as well as demonstrations on the work that they were currently doing.  They are reproducing this highly carved card table.  The original is in the local museum.
We were able to see quite a few 18th century furniture antiques in the various houses and we also visited the Cooper shop where they were making barrels and water buckets.  All with 18th century tools.
They have a Joiner Shop where they were make moldings for the buildings and wooden boxes to hold George Washington's personal things at Yorktown.  Again only using period tools.

The highlight of the trip was the visit to the museum and a private tour of the furniture exhibit. Southern Fair is the title of the exhibit at the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum.  Our guide led us through an 1 1/2 hour study of their southern pieces.  I also spotted some pieces which I am going to add to my list of things to reproduce.  Here are two that I have my eye on:


 And lastly we did a behind the scenes tour at Bruton Heights to visit the studio where they conserve the antique furniture for display in the museum and other houses.  What a treat!

So now that I am back home I will continue to work on the Newport Card Table.

1 comment:

  1. The highly carved card table is unbelievable, wow, that must have taken months and months to make?
    I like the two tables you took the pictures of for potential projects, niiiiiiiiiice.

    ReplyDelete