Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2014

A Trip to Irion Lumber - Wood Paradise

Doug Moulder and I made a trip yesterday to Wellsboro, PA.   It is about a 5 hour drive from my house, so having someone along makes the time go by much quicker.   Also, it helps to have someone to hold one end of  the heavy lumber.
I am in search of some good Genuine Mahogany for the Townsend Card Table that I am building.
I have been to Irion Lumber before and I don't know of a place that has a better selection of fine furniture grade lumber.
Myron Yoder, who runs the place for Lou Irion took us up to the top of the hill where they have several sheds full of various sizes of Mahogany.  How about 40" wide 10 foot boards!  He also shows us their private stock selection of some really fine and figured stock.
So, we start to sort through the various sizes of lumber that I need, 4/4 tops, 8/4 sides and 12/4 legs.   While we are doing this mother nature comes along and dumps a thunder shower  with hail on us, so we have to duck under one of the shed roofs for awhile.  Wading through the mud now we pick out the stock.  I land a couple of 20" wide 4/4 boards for the tops...
While I am a little poorer as we leave, I am satisfied that we have some really fine wood to make into the Townsend Card Table.
The wood is in the shop getting accustomed to the humidity and I am going to continue to carve the practice Newport ball and claw foot that I have started.  I post a video when I get a little further along.
It was a good trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment