Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2014

Carving the Practice Newport Ball and Claw Foot

The Townsend Card Table is obviously a Newport piece of furniture. If I were to put a Philadelphia ball and claw foot on the table it would be out of context.   So, I have to carve a Newport ball and claw which I have not done before.   I obtained a plaster cast of a Goddard foot from Al Breed.  He sent me one that had a broken talon, but that didn't matter.  In today's video I take a crack at carving the different style.  I have completed the basic shape in this video, and now will refine the shape in the next video.
It was a lot harder to carve than I thought but like any new thing I went slower that I normally would since I wanted it to be acceptable.
So here is today's video:

1 comment:

  1. Looks very good for the first go around! There is no visible blood,so I'd say that you were quite successful.

    ReplyDelete