Search This Blog

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Working on the TV Cabinet

I received the hinges the other day, so now I can cut the mortises in the doors and fit them to the cabinet.  I used a router plane to shave off the material in the hinge mortise. I think it works better than the traditional method of using a chisel and chopping the mortise.   I attached the hinge on the door and then match the mortise on the cabinet.  The doors where a little large so then I had to plane off a little to make them fit correctly.
Once the doors were fitted I wet down the cabinet to raise the grain and when it was dry I sanded with 320 grit paper so get it smooth again.  Pre-raising the grain is often used when applying water based dye.  Then I sprayed the dye and let it dry.  Then I rubbed it down with 0000 steel wool.
Vacuumed the dust and wiped it down with a clean cloth.
Now I am ready to apply the Waterlox tung oil finish with a rag.  I have just applied the first coat but it will take multiple to get a good build up of finish.
So here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment