Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014

Started the Second Audio Cabinet

Well I started on the second audio cabinet today.  This one has legs, the other long one sits on the floor without legs.  After consulting Doug Moulder about the design of the legs, he suggested that the taper on the legs be about 1/4 inch and only on 2 sides.  I was going to taper all four sides but he suggested that it might look odd.
So I had to whip up a taper jig to cut 10 1/4 in taper on two sides of each leg.  I did that with 1/2 MDF and a scrap piece of maple.  The hold down clap I had on another jig, so I just pulled it off of the other jig. I spent more time making the jig than cutting the tapers.  I have another taper jig but it did not work for the kind of taper I wanted to cut on these legs.
Once I cut the tapers, I marked off the mortises on the legs.  Then I cut the side and front rails to size and left enough for a 1 inch tenon on each side.
Someone ask how I cut the tenons on the long rails in the last video, well in this video I show how I cut the tenons on the upper and lower rails on each of the pieces.  I used the same method on the long cabinet using my radial arm saw and dado blades.  I don't use it that often but this is a good application for that set up.
After I cut the tenons, I have started to drill out the mortises with my hollow chisel mortiser.  It makes quick work out of cutting mortises.  I bought it 10 years ago when I was making art and crafts chairs which had 60 mortises per chair and I made a set of 6.  It saved a lot of time.
So here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment