Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

New Project - Audio and TV cabinets for Neighbor

Well, a new neighbor came over and had heard that I do woodworking.  He asked me if I would make for him two cabinets for his audio equipment and also to put his tv on.
So I went over to his house and measured the area where he wanted to put the cabinets.  From his specifications I made two drawings.  He reviewed the drawings and approved them.  He requested that the cabinets be made from white oak and finished a dark brown (Espresso).  
From the drawing I calculated the number of board feet that I needed and made a trip to Yoder Lumber in Millersburg Ohio.  They have great domestic lumber prices and good supply.  Monday, Doug Moulder and I drove down and picked up the rough sawn lumber.  I bought 4/4, 5/4 and 8/4 white oak for the project.
Yesterday I started to mill the rough sawn stock to size and today I finished.  So, now I have all the stock rough cut.
Tomorrow I can start to join the frame for the cabinets.
So here is today's video:

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dave,

    Do you find any advantages of Yoder over Keim? Better prices? I've never been to Yoder but made my way to Keim last year and fell in love with it.

    Thanks,
    Shawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are good sources, Yoder generally does not carry above 8/4 stock except in poplar. And in general Yoder is a little less expensive but Keim carries more variety.

    ReplyDelete