Search This Blog

Monday, April 28, 2014

Back to Working on the Audio Cabinets

Now that I have finished the TV cabinet for my wife, I can get back to working on the two audio cabinets for my neighbor.  These are made from white oak and the finish that my neighbor wanted was a dark brown. He called it Espresso.  Well, Minwax makes an Espresso color so I bought that and another two colors that I thought would be darker.  As it turns out he still picked the Espresso color.  I think I learned something about psychology in this process.
I have one small hole that I need to fill on the large cabinet.  So, I made my home brew wood filler.  I made some sanding dust from a scrap piece of white oak and then used some hide glue (old brown glue) to hold it together.  The object is to get more wood than glue in a paste ball.  Once I made the filler I pushed it in the hole and let it dry.  Then is sanded it flush.  One benefit from doing it this way is that it take the stain like the wood so it is an invisible repair.
I was not sure what the coverage would be with the Minwax stain so I decided to apply it to the small cabinet first to see how much it used.   Now that I have applied the stain, I have some left over so another small can should be enough to finish the project.
I sanded the small cabinet to 180 grit and applied the stain, waited 15 minutes before wiping of the excess as directed by Minwax.  Looks good.  Now I have to  wait for it to dry and then spray satin lacquer for the final finish.
Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment