Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Planing, Sanding, Dowel Making and Finally Gluing Up the Case

I have put it off long enough.  I have to do the sanding which I really dislike.  So I took the case apart and did a little planing of the sides to the corner columns. It was about a 1/64 inch high so this took care of that issue.


Next I sanded the pieces 120, 150, 180 grit sand paper.  Mostly by hand since there is very little flat surface to use a machine sander.


I need to make 1/4 inch dowels for the pegs which I will put in just after I glue it up.  So I cut some mahogany strips 9/32 inch square.


Then I used a lumber pencil sharpener to round the ends so they can fit in the dowel plate and the drill.  Then I just drill them into the dowel plate.  Makes nice round dowel rods.  These are about 9 inches long.  This works on short pieces but if they are much longer it gets difficult.


Now I layout all of the pieces in order of the way that I am going to glue it up.  First the two sides, then the back and the apron.  Then I'll add the two drawer blades and cross pieces.


Glued and clamped.  I'll add the pegs tomorrow.


.
Here is today's Video:

2 comments:

  1. Your clamp up would make a good add for Bessey clamps!
    Looking good, you've got that darn sanding out of the way.Now I guess you can work on the drawers and the top? Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to put the pegs in next. Then I have to resaw some pine for the drawers. Then put in the drawer runners before working on the drawers

      Delete