Search This Blog

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Pegged the Case and Installed Drawer Runners - Starting to Mill Drawer Stock

I had glued up the case yesterday.  So today I installed the pegs in the case.   I kept the clamps on to compress the joints.

I marked out where to put the pegs so they would go through the tenon correctly.   Then I drilled a 15/64 inch hole which was slightly smaller than the peg.  The drill bit has a mark on it so I know how deep to drill.



I put a little glue on one end of the peg and drove it home with a hammer.



The peg is a little proud, so I will flush cut it and pare it off  flush.


I put 2 pegs in each piece, leaving the lower section of the panel without.  This should help with the expansion of the panels.

Now I started to install the drawer runners that I had made earlier.  I slipped them in making sure that they were level with the drawer openings.  Clamped them in place. 


I used my 18th century pneumatic nail gun to nail them in place.

I used 1 1/4 inch brad nails. The drawer dividers are glued in a rabbet 


All three levels in place, kickers on top and 2 rows of drawer runners. Case construction is complete.

Now I need to start on the drawer construction.  I had bought some sugar pine to make the drawer sides and bottoms.  I brought the wood into the shop a few days ago to let it get accustomed to the temperature and humidity.



I marked out the rough sizes of the drawer sides 4" x 16 1/2" and the bottoms are 8 1/4 x 16 1/2.
So now I need to mill the stock to  size.  The drawer sides will be 7/16 inch thick and the bottoms 5/8 inch thick.

I thought I could get 2 sides from each piece but the stock is not thick enough to resaw and get 7/16 so I will have a lot of waste on these drawer sides.  
I'll get back to it tomorrow. 

Here is today's video:

1 comment:

  1. Nice 18th century air nailer. Where can I get one of those, only I want a right handed version-not the rarer left handed model you have!
    The progress is still looking very good.
    Yuk on snow-I have about 3 inches of the white stuff.

    ReplyDelete