Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Finally Finished the First Ball and Claw Foot

I keep track of my hours on the woodworking projects.  This foot has taken more hours than any of the ball and claw feet that I have carved.   Even after completing two practice feet, I was still very slow.  It is a good thing that I don't try to make a living from carving.  I would starve.
I am satisfied with the results of the carving and I cleaned up some of the bumps with files.  I use files for initial cleanup because I can always go back to carving if I see something I want to change.   If I use sandpaper I would not use carving chisels any more since the sandpaper would leave behind grit in the wood grain and quickly dull the chisels.   I will sand the whole leg before finishing once all of the carving is complete.
On to the next foot,  maybe I'll gain some speed.

2 comments:

  1. That's more than "pretty good", it looks great! Put that in your duplicator for the second one!
    Well done David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doug, I wish I had a duplicator. It was a lot of hours. Hope the next one goes faster. I also have to fight with painting the front and back porch. :-(

      Delete