Search This Blog

Monday, June 23, 2014

Finished Shaping the Legs and Starting to Carve the Ball and Claw Feet

I shaped the legs using hands tools.  The rear legs are pad feet with no carving, so they are good to go.
The front legs have ball and claw feet and a carving pattern on the knee.
I have the ball and claw foot that I did for practice to use as a reference as well as the plaster cast that I purchased.  It helps me to look at a finished design while carving.
Hopefully the mahogany will cooperate and not be too difficult to carve.  I have noticed that that there are some changes in the grain direction so carving may be a bit challenging.
The first steps are to layout the lines on the two feet, then to carve the cylinder all the way around.  Previously I have carved multiple legs sequentially, first one then the next, etc.  This time I am going to carve them in parallel to see if it goes any faster.
So here is today's video:
 

3 comments:

  1. Those pad feet look really nice and clean, I'm excited to see the finished ball and claw feet! Do the Newport style talons feel really fragile? I'm going to try a practice Newport ball and claw foot soon and I'm worried about the strength of the talons once they're undercut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke, thanks for your comment. I did not make the talons on the practice feet too thin, so they are pretty strong. I suppose they could be broken, On antique pieces that I have seen they are usually pretty fragile. I will take the liberty of leaving mine a little thicker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post a picture with a close up of the talons

    ReplyDelete