Search This Blog

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Done with Practice - Sawing and Shaping the Four Cabriolet Legs

I am finished with practice.  I need to get moving on the real table.  I am going to make the blanks and cut out the shapes for the 4 cabriolet legs for the table..
A few weeks ago, I went to Irion Lumber to purchase some mahogany for the table.  The leg stock was a piece of 12/4 10 inches wide by 8 foot long.  This should be enough for 2 tables.  
Right now I can get 3 legs from the width, so I cut 2 pieces of the length of the legs plus 2 inches so I would have a piece for the knee blocks.  I ended up with 6 legs.  I only need four right now.  So I picked the best of the group.   There are some worm holes in the stock but that only adds a little character.
With the bandsaw I cut the stock to 3 inches and then used the jointer and plainer to square up the legs.
Sorry, no hands tools at this point.
After the stock was squared, I made the template for the pad foot.  I had the template for the ball and claw foot from the practice pieces.  I traced the patterns on to the stock.  I turned the 2 pad feet on the lathe.
Now I am ready to cut out the patterns on the bandsaw.  I have a 1/4 inch blade in the saw and I cut them out as I did in the earlier videos on cabriolet legs.
It was very hot that day in the shop and that is the excuse I am going to use for not doing a really great job at following the lines on the legs.  I have a lot of clean up do.
Since there is no carving on the rear legs, which are the pad feet I decide to work on those first and get them out of the way.  This is where the hand tools come in, I use a spokeshave to smooth out the bumps and get nice clean curves.  Then carving tools to finish the shape, rasp and files to complete the smoothing.  Then using a card scraper of finish.
When I was working on the leg, I started to think about attaching it to the side and the prototype side that I had cut out.  I realized that I had not done it correctly.  I needed to leave it at 5 inches at the end and cut a curve leading to the edge for the knee block.  So I made a new side for the prototype.  You will see that in the video.
Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment