Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Staining Practice and Color Selection

Well the package came with the Lockwood Dye that I ordered.  But not until late in the day yesterday.  So I mixed it up last night and let it cool down over night.  
Today I prepared a maple board and sanded it to 220.  I divided the board and wiped on the four Mahogany dyes.   This is to select the colors.  My wife and I selected the English Mahogany which looks like what I envisioned for the piece.
Spraying the dye will help reduced the amount of blotching that will occur with maple.   So I tested spraying with one of the other colors since I don't want to waste the good color.  The trick is to raise the air flow and reduce the fluid delivery on the spray gun to get a fine almost dry spray. Since it is water it is already very thin and dries slowly in these cool temperatures.  We do not want it to pool or run.
It takes some practice and I don't spray everyday.
I also bought some pre-stain conditioner from Charles Neil and tried that out.  It did prevent the blotching but it blocked the grain too much for my taste.
I am going to take a break from woodworking for about a week and do some chores that need to be attended to here at home.  When I get back to it, I'll be ready to spray the table.
So here is today video.

No comments:

Post a Comment