Search This Blog

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Turret Top Tea Table - New Project

I am starting a new project.  I am going to make a turret top tea table.  This is a Boston furniture piece, there are only 6 known to be in existence.  I found the picture and article in the "New England Furniture At Winterthur" by Nancy Richards.  Excellent description and pictures.  As the article says there are 2 tables with 12 scallops and the rest have 14.  The closest to me would be in Deerfield MI, but I don't think I will make the trip.  Jeffery Green has a picture in his book on page 237 with the same dimensions but 14 turrets.
There is a picture with the 12 turrets.
 This is the one that I plan on making.  A number of people have made the piece and I think Gene Landon has plans for it at the Old Mill web site.  I decided that I would draw my own and I got some help from the CloseGrain web site when he posted a drawing from a SAPFM meeting which showed a little detail about the corners.
So, I started by making drawings of the leg and turret.  I decided to make it out of (you guessed it) soft maple.  I know it is a beautiful piece and should be made from fine wood but the turrets are make from 16/4 material.  I considered cherry but 14/4 cherry would be expensive.  Soft Maple is readily available in 12/4 for the legs and 16/4 for the turrets.  I will probably stain it cherry when I am done.
I am going do document the progress with videos and post them to YouTube.  I will include the links here as I work through the construction.
Here is the first video. I try to keep them to about 10 minutes.
I am starting by making the legs.

1 comment:

  1. I love the putty knife into card scraper trick. That's great.

    ReplyDelete