Search This Blog

Monday, November 11, 2013

The History Continues

I kept reading and re-reading the articles in the magazine and learned the names of some famous period furniture makers like Mack Headley Jr. and Eugene Landon.  This led me to search out other books and publications.  I started to read about hand tools and how to use them.  I bought used planes, spokeshaves, carving chisels and started to practice.
This first piece of period furniture I decided to make was a Boston Block Front Knee Hole Desk.  I found the plans in a book "American Funiture Treasures" by Lester Margon.  It didn't have a lot of carving so I thought I could make it.
So I started in and to my surprise it came out better than I expected.

 So, now I was hooked on period furniture making. I started going to museums to view real pieces and bought a bunch of books to study the styles and construction techniques.
The second piece I made was a desk for my son's new house.  We picked it out from a book, "The Living Room - Timeless Traditional Woodworking Projects" by George Buchanan.  Here is the finished desk:

No comments:

Post a Comment