Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hooked on 18th Century Furniture

So, I was really hooked.  Seven years ago, I joined the SAPFM - Society of American Period Furniture Makers and started to attend their meetings.  I learned a lot and made many new friends with similar interests.  I am active in the Ohio River Valley Chapter and the Great Lakes Chapter.
Well, I always wanted to make a bombe chest, so I got the plans from SAPFM member Craig W. Bentzley and took the plunge.  I wanted to use mahogany for the wood but it would have been quite expensive so I opted out for poplar.  I know it seems like sacrilege but I was not sure I could complete the piece at the time.  I really wanted to test my hand tool techniques.   Here are a couple of pictures of the construction.



The drawer fronts and the dove tails were really challenging.  It came out pretty well and it certainly improved my hand tool skills.  I took a class with Mary May to carve ball and claw feet which really helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment