Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hollows and Rounds

This last winter I got interested in antique molding planes.  It seems like everyone is interested in these lately.  Individuals like MS Bickford, Larry Williams, Todd Herrli, Caleb James have excited the troops into buying, using and making traditional wooden side escapement planes.  And Lie-Nielsen is helping with tools, videos and steel.  
Well how could I resist. So, I jumped in and bought some 1/4 sawn beech, videos, books, tools and steel.  Then I went to work.  I started with a 1/2" hollow and round.  Here is an early picture
I had purchased my O1 tool steel from McMaster Carr and cut it out with a jig saw.  I tapered the iron on my drum sander. After completing the grinding, hardening and sharpening, I made the first pass on testing out the new plane.
Well, since then I have completed a half set of hollow and rounds.

I also completed a reproduction of a Sandusky 119 screw arm plow plane.
So, now I am taking a break from plane making and back to furniture making......

2 comments:

  1. I'm blown away by these planes. I can't believe you made them. Gorgeous work Dave. I gotta get over to you place one of these days to check out the plow plane. Way cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are welcome anytime, just let me know when you are coming so I am home

      Delete