Search This Blog

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Curved Blockfront Lowboy Vertical Dividers & Drawer Runners Step 4

I started to work on the vertical drawer dividers.  I put a 1/2 inch dovetail on the end of a piece of cherry stock that would fit between the top drawer blade and the apron.  To make it fit across the center blade I made a mortise on both the vertical piece as well as the drawer blade. This made it fit flush.


Here I am chopping out the waste from the mortise in the center drawer blade.


I fitted the vertical dividers to the top drawer blade and the apron.  I used my marking knife to trace the shape on them.  Now I have to cut out the dovetail sockets.


I have to make sure that the vertical dividers are square to the opening before marking them with the knife.


Chopping out the dovetail sockets in the top drawer divider and the apron.


As you can see they fit into the dovetail sockets just right.  Now I am starting on the drawer runners.
These are made from poplar.  The horizontal runner is 2 1/4 inch wide and divided into 3rds.  Each 3/4 of an inch.  The vertical drawer guide is 7/8 of an inch set in 1/8 inch dado in the center.


I will need to make mortises front and back to fit the runners. As usual I make a story stick marked where the mortises need to be on the front and back.


I register the story stick on the top for the front mortises.


Then I register the story stick on the back and produce the same markings.


I have to chop out the mortises on the back by hand since the piece is too large for the hollow chisel mortiser.  The front pieces are small enough to fit in the hollow chisel mortiser so that is what I used for the front mortises.



Here they are all dry fitted.  I want to make sure that they are flush with the vertical and horizontal drawer dividers.


The side drawer runners will be nailed and glued to the side after the piece is glued up.


While I had the piece apart I cut out the double ogee on the bottom of the two sides.


I need to drill a couple of 1/2 hole in the bottom of the apron for the drop finials.  But this completes the case build.  I need to sand it to 180 and then glue it up.


Next I will concentrate on the curved drawer fronts.

Here is today's video: