Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Drop Leaf Cherry Table - Making the Stretchers, Fitting the Tenons and Assemble the Frame - Step 3

I got into the shop a bit the last two days, so I was able to glue up the legs with old brown glue. I was very careful to make sure they were straight and flat on the bench. The small pieces of stock raised the flat parts to give clearance for the turning which are 1/8 inch larger than the flat pieces.


I used my k-clamps to help keep them straight as well as hold them together. With 1 1/8 inch round tenons on the turned pieces I don't think these will be coming apart anytime soon.

Then I milled some cherry stock for the apron and stretchers. 4 inch for the apron and 1 7/16 inch for the stretchers.  Both were 13/16 inch thick.

I allowed for 1 inch tenons on each of the pieces.  These tenons will have to be mitered to fit into the angled mortises on the legs.  I will miter them as it fit them to the legs.

I used my tenoning jig on the table saw to cut the tenons since they were all the same, so once I had set it up it made quick work of cutting them.  I am holding a backer board on the piece to keep the saw from tearing out the back as it goes through.


Next I need to put a bead on both edges of the stretchers and on the bottom of the apron.  There are lots of options to putting the bead on the pieces. I could use the router, scratch stock, beading plane.  I used a Stanley 66 beading plane with cutters from Lie-Nielson.  One bead was 1/4 inch, the other was 3/8.  But the 3/8 cutter would have gone too deep. So I just started the cut and finished rounding it over with a hollow plane.


This cherry really worked well to the plane.  A pleasure to work.


Then I needed to fit the tenons to the leg mortises.  I want them to be a nice snug fit.
So I used a block plane to shave off some of the material until I got the correct fit.


These joints will be pegged later as that was done on the original piece.

Once the tenon fit properly, I cut a miter on the side so that the two piece would both fit in the leg at the same time.  Again I used my block plane to trim the miter for final fitting.


First pair fit, looks good.  Now all I have to do is fit all of the others.


All set, I like the fit and I surprised myself how well it went together.  My measuring must have been better this time.


Now I have to make plans for the drop leaf supports, the top and hinges.

Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment