Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Chapin High Chest of Drawers - Cut out Shapes & Drawer Runners - Step 4

The next steps for me after dry fitting the lower case where to refine the shapes on the apron and sides. This is the pattern for the sides. I was able to get this when I studied the piece at the Yale Furniture Study.   I cut it out with a jig saw and used a spindle sander to clean it up.


The apron on this piece is identical to an apron I made for another Chapin piece Desk on Frame about 5 years ago.
To me it was interesting that the two were identical.


I cut it out with a jig saw and cleaned it up with a spindle sander.  But I could not get into the tight curves with that sander.


So I cleaned it up with files where I couldn't reach with the spindle sander.


Next I worked on cutting out the legs where the quarter columns will sit.  This is usually done on a table saw these days.  But I don't like that process and that it cuts out the top corner block.


I use a biscuit jointer as a plunge saw to cut two sides and then chop out the rest.


This way I leave the block in the top of the leg but I have some work to do with the chisel to  chop out the remaining.

I cut the end line with a hand saw

Then chop out the waste with a chisel.


I check the fit with the test quarter column I made earlier in the project. The base and capital would be below and above the quarter column.


I reassembled the case to see how it looks and then to decide how to install the drawer runners.


I decided to mortise the drawer runners front and back rather than build a frame.  The only complication of doing it this way is the final glue up is more complicated.

The center drawer has a complicated runner since the drawers are offset, it takes two pieces and a complex shape. I glued the two together and mortised front and back.


Locating the mortise on the front.

Chopping out the mortise on the back.


The drawer runners are made and fitted to the first row of drawers.  The ones on the out side edges are not that complex, just a runner and a guide.  I have to make sure they are flush with the opening and straight to the back.


I still have to make the drawer runners for the large drawer and add kickers for the lower drawers.
So here they are, the two in the center are kickers for the lower drawers.
I also made support blocks for the upper chest but I will not attach them until I glue up the case.


Construction of the lower case is complete, now I have to shape the legs and carve the ball and claw feet.

Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment