Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cherry Oxbow Chest - Applying Waterlox Tung Oil Finish - Step 15

Well I am in the home stretch now with the chest of drawers.  My favorite finish is to apply the Original Waterlox Tung Oil Finish.  It is not available everywhere and they have a low VOC product for sale in California which I have heard does not work as well as the original.  I purchase mine from Woodcraft.  I'll use about a pint and a half for this chest.

Waterlox soaks into the wood in the beginning but eventually starts to build up a film finish.  Depending on how porous the wood is it will take 6 to 8 coats to build this finish.   Each coat must wait 24 hours before applying the next coat.  I apply the finish with a rag by dipping it into a small bowl of finish.  

When I am done I pour the left over finish back into the can and fill the can with dust off spray or Bloxygen to chase the air out of the can.  Air in the can will start to thicken the finish.

Here is how the drawer fronts look after applying 2 coats.  You can see that most of the finish has soaked into the wood.

  

I sand between coats with 400 grit sandpaper.  It takes off the dust nubs and smooths the finish.  I wait 24 hours before I do the light sanding.  You have to be very careful not to sand through the finish and remove the dye stain.  I use extremely light pressure.  You don't have to sand between coats but it makes for a better finish.



Here you can see how the finish is built up with 3 coats.  Starting to get the finish look.


Seven Coats should be enough.



Well here it is with the seven coats.  Now it has to cure for at least a week before it is hard enough for final rub out with 0000 steel wool and paste wax.  I'll post again when it is completely finished.


Here is today's  video:

No comments:

Post a Comment