Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Chapin High Chest of Drawers - Drawer Runners & Back - Step 9

I have been traveling for about 3 weeks, so I have had limited shop time.  I visited my daughter in Colorado Springs, friends in Wisconsin and WoodWorking in America in Cincinnati. I am glad to be home to rest up.

In the last post I was preparing to build the drawer runners and guides.  I cut the strips from 7/8 inch pine.

I have added a piece of pine filler at the top of the chest which will be covered by molding and the lattice.

Inside I have added a kicker above the top 3 drawers so they will not tip too much.

 The side runners are setting in 1/8 inch deep dados. There are not any dust panels since the original Chapin chest had only one dust panel above the drawer that had a lock.  I decided that I would not have any.

 With all of the parts made and fitted, I next glued up the upper case.  Lots of clamps and hide glue and let it set up for a day.

I added the drawer runner and guides the next day since they could be added from the back. The top assembly is for the 3 small drawers

The simple drawer runners are glued about 4 inches in the front and a single nail in the back.

Now I started on the back of the chest. I milled some 1/2 inch pine panels for shiplap siding which I will use to make the back.

I have to add a bevel to the edges so that it will slide into the 1/4 inch groove that I put around the back of the case. I used a large panel raising router bit to cut the bevel, but a hand plane or table saw could have been used.

Here is the back all fitted to the groove in the back.  I will put a couple of nails in the bottom of the last board to hold it in.  With the shiplap panels there will be room for shrinking, but as hot and humid it is in the shop I don't think it will ever get any larger.

Lastly, I added the outer drawer guides, these keep the drawers from moving side to side. They are glued to the drawer runners not to the side of the chest.

The upper chest with the back and the drawer runners is now to heavy for me to lift, Doug Moulder came over yesterday and helped me place it on the base.  Everything fits ok.  We then took it out and placed it back on the assembly table.


I started to look into making the quarter columns, fortunately they are 34 inches long and my lathe is 36 inches between centers maximum.  Lucked out on that one

The next post and video will tackle the quarter columns.

Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment