Search This Blog

Monday, May 23, 2016

Cherry Chippendale Handkerchief Table - Edge Moulding & Baby Butt - Part 7

Now that I have cut out the top into two triangles, it is time to apply the table edge detail. This edge is essentially an ogee and round over.  I used a piece of scrap cherry here to practice making the cove and round over.


I have made this profile before on a low boy.  So I set up with what I can remember about how to make the profile.

I used a router with a core box bit to cut the cove shape.  I did this in 3 passes, taking a little off each time.



First pass on the 2 edges.



Now for the 1/4 inch round over on the bottom.


This is how it looks after routing.  Pretty close to the lines.  Needs to take a little off the bottom and top round over with hand planes.


I use my 1/4 inch hollow plane to round over the inside of the cove. I am taking a very light shaving.
Notice that I am planing with the grain of the board.



Now it is time to add the baby butt corners.  These are carved on the four corners.   The two that are in the table joint are more difficult because the center is not symmetrical.  One side overlaps the other by 3/16 of an inch.  I made a practice carving on the cut offs.  This one looks good enough to reproduce.  So I made a paper template of the carving.



I traced the carving on to the good table top.  I used a jig saw to cut the curves from the bottom.  The top curves must be carved.


Before I carved the baby butt corners I installed the hinges so that the two halves of the top would be in the exact position they would ultimately be before I did the carving.
I laid out were I wanted the hinges and used a marking knife to scribe the lines.  The hinge barrels are set in a groove so that they are not seen.
I purchased these drop leaf hinges from Horton Brasses.


I used my routing plane to cut out the hinge mortise.  Then I used a 1/4 inch chisel to create the groove for the hinge barrel.


Here they are installed but the joint is a little tight. So I need to plane of the corners of the joint so that it fits better.



Here is how it will hang on the table when closed.



Swing it open and it is still a little tight.


I need to take more off on the corners on the inside of this joint.  When I take it apart for finishing it will be easier to get at.



Now to carve the baby butt corners.  I carved corners on the ends without the joint, these are much easier since they are symmetrical.  Here is a link to a video I made on how to carve a baby butt corner.




After carving the baby butt corners I am ready to try the fit on the table frame.  Looks pretty good on the base.


I open the swing leg and try it with the top open.


I works pretty good but the table rocks. I need to adjust the hinge so that the leg sits flat when open.


So now I am ready for finishing.

Here is today's video:


No comments:

Post a Comment