Search This Blog

Friday, September 18, 2015

Drop Leaf Cherry Table - Finishing the Project - Step 8

At this point, it is time to mount the table top so that I know exactly where it's going to sit after finishing.  I don't want to be fussing with it after it is finished.

I need to drill 1/8 inch recessed holes for the figure 8 fasteners.  I used a 3/4 inch Forestner bit and offset the hole slightly.  It was important to have the recess just enough for the fastener, since I didn't want it to be either too deep or proud of the apron.


Once the fasteners were in place I positioned the top on the base and attached it with screws.  I was concerned that the leaf supports would be too tight but they work just fine.


Everything was sanded to 180 and then wiped down with mineral spirits.  I have always been afraid to wipe down with mineral spirits before applying water based dye but it does not seem to have an effect on the finish.


Next I had to select a finish.  Below are three that I considered.  The bottom one is dark garnet shellac.  The left one is water base dye with Waterlox finish.  The right one is just plain Waterlox.  My wife liked the dyed one the best, so that is what I am going to apply.


Here is how it looked after applying the dye.  It is still drying.  After it dried I rubbed off the fuzzy raised grain with 0000 steel wool.   This is also the first time I did not pre-raise the grain.  Again this seems to be ok.


After rubbing off the fuzzy raised grain, it is ready for the Waterlox.   This is a tung oil and varnish mix.  This first coat just disappears into the wood almost as fast as you can apply.  I keep applying until the wood stop taking it.  This application will really make the figure stand out.  I apply finish to the underside of the top so that there is some equilibrium in moisture.



I looks good even after one coat, but after it dries the finish is absorbed into the wood.  It takes many thin coats to build up the finish.

Here it is after 5 coats.  You can see how the finish is building and adding depth.  It will probably take another 3 coats to get to the point that I like.  

After the last coat, I have to wait at least a week for the finish to harden and cure.  Then I will rub it out with 0000 steel wool and apply a paste wax.  And then it will be done.


Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment