Search This Blog

Saturday, February 8, 2020

Queen Anne Side Chair - Step 2

The cabriolet legs are the next step.  The are made from 12/4 stock. The queen anne style is to have pad feet which are turned on a lathe.  I turn the pad before cutting out the shape, others do it after.
Cutting the mortises when the stock is square is much easier.



Fitting all of the basic mortises while the stock is still square.


In the photo below the front legs have been cut to shape on the bandsaw, but not yet refined.  The back of the front legs should be refined before you fit the stretchers. The fronts can wait till later.


Getting the angle and length of the stretchers correct is one of the more difficult tasks. I cut these on the table saw and pare them with a chisel.


There are rectangular mortises in the front leg as well as the back leg for the side stretchers.  There are round mortises for the front and rear stretchers.  The rear mortises are straight in but the front are angled as you can see.  I used a sliding bevel to set the angle on a drill press and drilled the holes.


This chair has a compass seat shape.  I used a cardboard template from the drawings that I had enlarged to full size and then traced the pattern on the chair. I cut out the shapes on the bandsaw.



I used a spokeshave to clean up the saw marks and fit them to the shape. The inside area with be rebated to allow for the drop in seat.


Next I'll work on the crest rail.


No comments:

Post a Comment