Search This Blog

Monday, July 13, 2015

Building a Moxon Vise with Benchcrafted Hardware

The end vise that I have on my work bench is a LeeValley twin screw which has about 15 3/4 inches between the two screws.  It works great, I have had it over 10 years and on two different benches.
However when you want to clamp something wider than 15 3/4 inches it is difficult to do.
Enter the Moxon vise, which seems to be very popular these days.  I don't need it all the time but when you need a wide vise it will sure fit the bill.

When I was in Iowa at the Handworks Tool Show, I purchased the Moxon Vise Kit from Benchcrafted.  I saved the shipping cost.


I debated a little while on just where I would put it.  I thought for awhile that I might build it into the front of my bench.  But decided not to because it would be in the way.   So, like many woodworkers,  I decided to make it removable and mount on top of the bench.  

Benchcrafted has plans on their website, so why not follow them.  They are pdf,  I downloaded and printed them.  They include a brief history and some building and finishing options. 



I decided on the 36 inch back with 32 inch front with 25 inch on center screws.  Their plans suggest
1 3/4 inch stock.  I have some soft maple in 8/4, so to begin I need to mill the stock to size.


Here are the 3 pieces needed.  The back is 5 1/2 x 36 inches.  The front is 5 5/8 x 32 inches,  the extra 1/8 is so the vise face catches on the workbench to help line it up when you use it.  The rear hold down is 2 x 24 inches.  All are 1 3/4 thick.


Then I had to layout where the 3/4 inch holes would be drilled and  1 1/4 inch holes for countersinking the nuts (countersink was 13/16 deep).  Drill the larger hole first.  Then the 3/4 inch hole is drilled using the point left by the forstner bit as the center.



3/4 inch forstner bit for the through hole  Hope they line up.


Using a bench chisel I flatten the sides of the hole to match the hex nut that needs to be countersunk.


Nice snug fit, just pop it in.



All set with this one, now for the other side.


I put the other nut and washer on the back with the countersunk nut on  the front and tighten them up.
I clamped the vise to the workbench and test fitted the front jaw to the screws.  It was a little tight, so I elongated the holes and then planed the top of the jaws flush.


Test spinning the heavy cast iron wheels.  They go on and spin really easy.


I glued on the rear holding piece with yellow glue and planed it flush on the bottom.  The holdfasts work great on this design.



Now I need to glue on the leather piece that they provide for the vise face.  They suggest contact cement.  I waited about 10 minutes for the glue to set and then put the two together.  I used a j-roller to apply the pressure and a utility knife to trim the excess leather.


All finished.  I could put a coat of Watco on it but natural is just fine with me.  There is 24 inches between the two screws, so it should be large enough for the widest panels.


Holdfasts work great on the back.


Quick little project for a great vise, I can store it out of the way when not in use.

Here is today's video:

No comments:

Post a Comment