Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Making a Wooden Coffin Smoother Bench Plane

I am waiting for the shellac to harden on the turret top tea table I have just completed, it will take at least 4 to 5 days for it to be ready for rub out.   So, while I am waiting I thought it would be a good time for a small project that I have been thinking about for a sometime.   I am going to make a Coffin Smoother wooden bench plane.   I have wanted one for quite some time and I have the qtr sawn beech lumber left from when I was making the hollows and rounds.
I checked the web and knew that Caleb James had made one and he was nice enough to post his drawings on his blog.  Doug Moulder had made 3D drawings of the inside of the wooden plane he made and Caleb posted them on his blog as well.    I selected the size of the iron I wanted to use to be 1 3/4 inch.  It is about the size of a Stanley #3 and the steel is readily available.  I ordered 5/32 inch stock as Caleb suggested.
I scaled up Caleb's  drawing for the larger iron size and wrote the dimensions on the drawing.  I cut and squared up the plane body blank from the qtr sawn beech.   I marked out the bed, breast and abutment lines and prepared to remove the material in the opening.  This is the most difficult part of the plane making.  You have to be careful to create a flat bed at the correct angle.  I am using a 55 degree bed angle.
I got about half done today.  So here is today's video

No comments:

Post a Comment